View Thread: FSAE Car


SLP Addict
Greg got me thinking about FSAE cars, and i thought and looked into them, well, as it is right now, ive pretty much got the chassis, and getting a engine real cheap, were looking for 1000CC+ engines, possbile a haybusa.

masestylez
What exactly is an FSAE car?

SLP Addict
Its a car that colleges make to compete with other colleges, Im thinking of making one that will be for solo1/solo2 racing, www.fsae.com for more info.

911GT2
The average FSAE car costs over 10K USD to build.

And they have a 600 (or is it 500) cc max.

Sia Bani
Guys, Chat is for everything that isn't related to cars. (moved to niche markets)

SLP Addict
Im not talking going all out as a FSAE car, im talking home making hte chassis, and fabricating everything, other than engine. I Figure we could do it for 1k without hte engine and tranny.

FYRHWK1
Originally posted by SLP Addict
Im not talking going all out as a FSAE car, im talking home making hte chassis, and fabricating everything, other than engine. I Figure we could do it for 1k without hte engine and tranny.

the piping for that chit aint cheap, most use chromoly steel which is some serious coin for a chassis, though I'd think mild steel would last longer since it isn't as brittle, did you get a hold of the designs for a FSAE car? I think my school has something to do with those but noones gotten back to me on it yet, might be competing there someday myself :bigbounce

911GT2
Originally posted by FYRHWK1
the piping for that chit aint cheap, most use chromoly steel which is some serious coin for a chassis, though I'd think mild steel would last longer since it isn't as brittle, did you get a hold of the designs for a FSAE car? I think my school has something to do with those but noones gotten back to me on it yet, might be competing there someday myself :bigbounce

I hope to compete soon as well, but my school hasn't done it for a couple years. We do SAE competitions (offroad buggy and super fuel mileage, we won the mileage one last year, 950+ MPG!!!) but haven't done FSAE. I'd fuckin love to do it though.

FYRHWK1
Originally posted by 911GT2
I hope to compete soon as well, but my school hasn't done it for a couple years. We do SAE competitions (offroad buggy and super fuel mileage, we won the mileage one last year, 950+ MPG!!!) but haven't done FSAE. I'd fuckin love to do it though.

god damn, could probably walk faster then that thing, but thats bloody impressive. I hope that we're still doing it, after the snow shut the school down everyone probably forgot to find out for me, damn counselors :banghead: