View Thread: Supercharger


Sia Bani
Anyone have any experience with supercharging the 96-99 350cc GM truck engine? I want to know what brands you recommend, etc. From what I know, paxton seems like the way to go.

SLP Addict
Im not real sure, but ive heard the ATI Prochargers are really good, and why are you lookin to s/c ur truck? i thought you were looking at a supra?

89TTA
i've been around a couple with S/C on 'em...

personally... i believe in the philosophy of fuck the blower, embrace the turbo, but that is just me... however, if you think the S/C is the solution, then nothin can beat a Vortech...

if you want a root-esque blower (including screw-type) then get a ROOT style blower... i.e. a 52:1 or 72:1 B&M blower that is as wide as your 350. until then... stick with centrifugal vortech.

k6kicker
isnt there a website like www.superchargersonline.com or something with kits pricing and a forum or something?

brindlepit
Sia - the best thing for your Tahoe - Vortec. The were used by GM in a lot of applications and Vortec is a good charger.


:woowoo: The Supercharger goes woo woooo.

Sia Bani
Its actually vortech (vortec is the name of my engine). I haven't heard too many great things about vortech though.

Rotary Boy
89TTA has it right. centrifugal vortech is the way to go as far as S/C's for your truck go

masestylez
My hand got a Vortech supercharger kit for his GMC Jimmy, he claimed 330hp, I have no idea if thats near accurate or not though. It ran strong though and lasted until the tree incident.

89TTA
Originally posted by masestylez
My hand got a Vortech supercharger kit for his GMC Jimmy, he claimed 330hp, I have no idea if thats near accurate or not though. It ran strong though and lasted until the tree incident.

would this be your right or left hand?

but... a vortech is DEFIANTLY the way to go

Sia Bani
Heres my main dilemma...I have already put in an intake, reprogrammed the ecu, 160 thermostat, exhaust that works best with my setup.

If I throw on a sc, I will have to have it reprogrammed again, the exhaust (single in single out) will have to be changed too, etc..I know hypertech reprograms your reprogrammer for your setup, but it's a crazy hassle. Has anyone had any experience with taking their programmer back to hypterch for them to reprogram it?

masestylez
Originally posted by 89TTA
would this be your right or left hand?

but... a vortech is DEFIANTLY the way to go

Oh my god, I have no idea where I got hand. HAHAHA that's too funny, lightens my bad mood.

89TTA
Originally posted by Sia Bani
Heres my main dilemma...I have already put in an intake, reprogrammed the ecu, 160 thermostat, exhaust that works best with my setup.

If I throw on a sc, I will have to have it reprogrammed again, the exhaust (single in single out) will have to be changed too, etc..I know hypertech reprograms your reprogrammer for your setup, but it's a crazy hassle. Has anyone had any experience with taking their programmer back to hypterch for them to reprogram it?

intake, thermostat, and ecu are all able to be used... the ecu however, requires one condition: you use an 8-psi pulley. using that low of boost can't harm your computer as long as it takes you to get a more s/c friendly programming.

the exhaust can stay the same as long as you use a s/c... step up to a turbo, that is a different story. preferably you'd want to upgrade your exhaust to header/dual-straight-pipe/x-pipe (last for pressure equalization)... that would be best, but you can stand to live with your current exhaust.

k6kicker
yeah sia why would you even think you would have to change your exhuast? yeah there will be more flow, but the configuration(sp..i just got done with a 2 hour chem test/lab exam i refuse to think now) will stay the same

Sia Bani
Originally posted by k6kicker
yeah sia why would you even think you would have to change your exhuast? yeah there will be more flow, but the configuration(sp..i just got done with a 2 hour chem test/lab exam i refuse to think now) will stay the same

My exhaust would need to be changed, because it doesn't have as much flow as normal performance mufflers. I put in the magnaflow muffler that had the best performance results on the stock engine, which is by chance the biggest muffler of them all, that actually doesn't use their trademark "straight thru" design, but y's in the middle and y's out, so basically there are 2 chambers in the middle. The magnaflow people recommended this because they said "too much exhaust" gets out with their other mufflers, but what they were actually telling me was that the other mufflers caused a decrease in the rate at which the exhuast flowed.

I'm thinking with an SC, I will, the velocity of the exhaust would be plenty fast, and it would require a better flow outwards.

Sia Bani
Originally posted by 89TTA
intake, thermostat, and ecu are all able to be used... the ecu however, requires one condition: you use an 8-psi pulley. using that low of boost can't harm your computer as long as it takes you to get a more s/c friendly programming.

the exhaust can stay the same as long as you use a s/c... step up to a turbo, that is a different story. preferably you'd want to upgrade your exhaust to header/dual-straight-pipe/x-pipe (last for pressure equalization)... that would be best, but you can stand to live with your current exhaust.

I dont see what you think the ecu (the way I have it reprogrammed now) can remain the same and give the same results? They have the ratios programmed for a stock engine, with a normal intake.

The supercharger would not allow the intake to remain in place, obviously. Here's a picture if you dont' believe me.

89TTA
Originally posted by Sia Bani
I dont see what you think the ecu (the way I have it reprogrammed now) can remain the same and give the same results? They have the ratios programmed for a stock engine, with a normal intake.

The supercharger would not allow the intake to remain in place, obviously. Here's a picture if you dont' believe me.

well... the picture you posted is of an eaton style blower... aka as a screw-type blower. a LOT different then a vortech in basic setup and design and overall 'how it works'. a vortech will let you keep the intake of your car... i'll bet you the ownership of your website against the ownership of my camaro z28... honestly i'm willing to make the bet in give up a $4k car for (i won't guess the price) this website...

now... 8 psi from a small turbo/supercharger is nothing to really worry about as long as you maintain adequate fuel (which should be fine on your reprogrammed ecu). if you're worried about it... increase your injector size.

that muffler sounds fine... inherently the main problem you'll experience isn't a performance loss, but maybe some mild backpressure. you should be fine dude...

Sia Bani
Show me a picture because I really can't imagine this working with my k&n gen II.

So, here's a question. Why do you all recommend vortech when a site selling them all rates them lower in power production when compared to others that have the same warranty, etc.?

How much do you think install's going to run? In LA, I think the best place to have it done would be a 4 wheel parts. What do you think?

89TTA
Originally posted by Sia Bani
Show me a picture because I really can't imagine this working with my k&n gen II.

So, here's a question. Why do you all recommend vortech when a site selling them all rates them lower in power production when compared to others that have the same warranty, etc.?

How much do you think install's going to run? In LA, I think the best place to have it done would be a 4 wheel parts. What do you think?

uh oh... base yourself off of whatever you seen... but i've been there, seen it, and can tell you that unless you're going with a huge B&M blower...

this is from a place that sales it:

midsize truck with a V6 can really jam, throw a Vortech supercharging system on it and it screams. Feel the power increase 83 horses to 243. This system will impress you with the obvious attention to detail and fully integrated appearance.
Supercharging System with V-2 SQ for 1996-1998 4.3 S-10, Blazer, Sonoma

* Adds 83 horsepower
* Adds 64 ft/lbs of torque
* 8 PSIG
* Includes V-2 SQ S-Trim supercharger
* Satin (050SQ - $3452.63) or Polish (058SQ - $3642.63) finish

(picture is below)

i'd do this all myself if i were you... it is really freakin easy (imo) compared to stuff i've done. notice in the pic the s/c is in the top right-hand corner of the pic... all a Vortech is is half a turbo with a gear replacing the exhaust side... stay

Sia Bani
So you've seen it installed on gm truck 350ci? You got any info/pics on something more related?

89TTA
some of the stuff i've seen i'm not legally allowed to tell anyone, and that isn't a lie ;)

anyways... i forgot yours was a 350 cid motor and thought of the Vortec that i've seen the most (the v6) and found that for you, passing up LOTS of links to Vortech'ed v8 Vortec.... just do a search on Yahoo! bro... you'll come up with a LOT of shit

Sia Bani
I did, pics are LACKING!

Post some.

89TTA
don't worry young one, there are other search engines out there

Sia Bani
Didn't I tell you to fetch me some pics? I really don't understand what you mean when you say "there are other search engines out there." What's a search engine?

89TTA
Originally posted by Sia Bani
Didn't I tell you to fetch me some pics? I really don't understand what you mean when you say "there are other search engines out there.

not particularly pertaining to your car, but good resources and info:

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/sema99/vortech.htm

http://www.corral.net/tech/powerplant/v2sq/vortech.html

http://www.alternativeauto.com/vortech/kits_installed/camaro_tpi.html

http://www.tbyrne.com/trucks/trucksuperchargerinduction.html

http://www.truckinssuv.com/tech/0206suv_vortech/

Sia Bani
I have actually seen everyone of those sites, except for the truckin one, since it's been down all day.

However, nothing there proves that they don't screw with the intake assembly...actually the on on mustang world, totally got rid of the assembly.

On the coral website:AIR INLET ASSEMBLY
You will now need to assemble the cold air intake kit supplied with the Vortech V2-SQ. This kit uses the factory mass air meter, a supplied K&N air filter, and various elbows and hose ducts, to supply cool air to the V2-SQ. This unit will be mounted inside the passenger side fender well.


So unless ANYONE else can confirm this about my 350 and my setup, I can't be convinced.

Apple_Jacks
dude sia, a paxton is the best, don't go vortech on a 350 truck, it's not gonna be what you want, and you are gonna need a new intake either way trust me.

if you get a S/c on your truck you will need a new or reprogrammed Ecu, intake manifold and a good free-er flowing exhuast(unless what you have is pretty open)(BTW I checked out those pics of your truck, thats a tight fucking tahoe dude)

89tta, the vortech for the v6 is norotiously shady for relliablity, I have heard bad things about it. and why would you keep the stock intake mani in the first place? sure if you are low on fundage but it is definetly going to be the limiting factor in performance gains, also saying that it will add alittle backpresure but not affect peformance or sound is dumb. if it's adding Backpressure chances are it is not an exhuast system optimized for that kind of flow, and it is just gonna prevent you from taking advatage of what he spent your money on.

paxton is near releasing a 80% efficency S/C for the 350 and sia when it comes out you might want to look into it, should be out in april, we could install it for ya no sweat if it were only not for the fact you are a hell of a long ways out from here.

SLP Addict
wtf..........did he just.............correct logan?.........but thats a........damn, i think we need to have a poll for top 5 smartest members here. i think the people in it would be 89tta, eric(1), Eric(2), shaman, and ummmm 911gt2.

Sia Bani
Thanks for the info Eric, I'll look into it. Please tell me when the new one is out.

89TTA
Originally posted by Apple_Jacks
dude sia, a paxton is the best, don't go vortech on a 350 truck, it's not gonna be what you want, and you are gonna need a new intake either way trust me.

Paxton's are ok, but i won't argue there because it is personal choice. HOWEVER, with a vortech, you keep the intake on the car... i don't know why the fuck you'd remove an intake on the car unless you're talking about the CAI/air-filter. when he asked if he'd have to remove the intake, i'm thinking the manifold, and not your CAI... and if that is what you're worried about SIA, Vortech comes with one.

Originally posted by Apple_Jacks
if you get a S/c on your truck you will need a new or reprogrammed Ecu, intake manifold and a good free-er flowing exhuast(unless what you have is pretty open)(BTW I checked out those pics of your truck, thats a tight fucking tahoe dude)[/B]

the intake can stay with a vortech... it'd have to go w/ a root-style blower, however...

ecu should be fine... it won't be optimized, but do tell why a stock upgrade s/c would HAVE to require an ecu to run on a stock modified-car? the ecu i made to optimize the stock setting, which is what the vortech/paxton are made for... it won't effect it as much as you're thinking

the exhaust should be fine... just imo...

Originally posted by Apple_Jacks
89tta, the vortech for the v6 is norotiously shady for relliablity, I have heard bad things about it. and why would you keep the stock intake mani in the first place? sure if you are low on fundage but it is definetly going to be the limiting factor in performance gains, also saying that it will add alittle backpresure but not affect peformance or sound is dumb. if it's adding Backpressure chances are it is not an exhuast system optimized for that kind of flow, and it is just gonna prevent you from taking advatage of what he spent your money on. [/B]

for one, he doesn't have a v6, but a v8 350 cid motor... i was thinking, when he said 'vortec' that it was the v6 and went to get those pics... i've never met anyone with trouble with them... *shrug*. when he said he had work done or a new intake, i figured he had a new one... remember, there is a little bit of difference in terminology from region to region. so when i'm asked to look at a car for a race, i'll say, "heads, intake, cai, header, exhaust, etc etc" and so usually if you're talking performance to me and say 'intake', i'm usually thinking of the manifold... thats just me...

there will always be backpressure unless you're running a good dump or upon down-pipe (for turbo)... even then, if it is an open muffler with a < then another >... it should be perfectly fine. i've used a muffler like that on the TTA just fine and i'm pumping out 18 psi on a T-52... even more psi if i wanted to, but then the block is near the 675 hp breaking limit. so why would i want to do that? furthermore, i've seen several high-powered 350s, 281s, and 302s supercharged, and all of which are done by Vortech... but i guess paxton is better *shrug*...

now... claiming the intake can hurt the performance (along with the exhaust) is a weighted sentence... it depends on what conditions Sia wants to see out of his machine. say that he wants to get max torque for those off-the-line jumps... then i'd say "stay with the long runner intake and restrictive exhause and put on the vortech", but if he wanted it built for horsepower, then i'd say, "by an aftermarket short runner intake, free flowing exhause with hooker long tubes, and buy a vortech". it all depends on the situation... backpressure builds torque, because the motor has to try a little hard to get the air out, and a little harder to get the air in...

Originally posted by Apple_Jacks
paxton is near releasing a 80% efficency S/C for the 350 and sia when it comes out you might want to look into it, should be out in april, we could install it for ya no sweat if it were only not for the fact you are a hell of a long ways out from here. [/B]

if it is truly 80% efficient, then that would be a good deal, but i still think vortech is the better deal... for those you can get an after/max-cooler and a eventually surround that with nitrous lines to cool 'em down or a bunch of other trick shit... just keep in mind that, no matter the efficiency, if it is unable to cool the air coming off of the motor it is sitting on... then the air charge doesn't mean anything

Sia Bani
Of course I was talking about the "cai" intake. (I don't really considered it a cai). I said K&N gen II. K&N doesn't make manifolds. The whole idea was that I would have wasted the 200 bucks on the intake, nothing more.

89TTA
Originally posted by Sia Bani
Of course I was talking about the "cai" intake. (I don't really considered it a cai). I said K&N gen II. K&N doesn't make manifolds. The whole idea was that I would have wasted the 200 bucks on the intake, nothing more.

yea, later on you did :tongue:

if you're going to get a s/c then you're going to have to lose that cai... only way possible to keep it is by vortech... that'd be the only way i'd know of trying to keep it...

Sia Bani
No, you cannot keep the intake. I don't know why you keep saying that. I guess I'd sell it on ebay or something.

Shaman
The paxton's not the greatest IMHO. I'd go with a ATI or a Vortec.

Sia Bani
I think eric was referring to a new product of theirs that isnt' out yet.