View Thread: Coil Pack failure


mustangdriver
Does anyone else know of anyone who has experienced coil pack failure on their 1.8 Turbo VW/Audi engine?

I know of a few and my car is now in the shop for what is most likely the same problem. It seems to be triggered by the cold because some older models with the same engine are failing and my (fairly) brand new 2002 just went in today after it vibrated all the way to work.

My buddy Steve (Audi A4) got stranded in Detroit at the Auto show when he has coil pack #2 fail. The first one left him waiting for a flatbed for 5 hours the week before.


:badass:

lsr78
Well known problem that VW/Audi is refusing to recall. In fact, if you go to the Audi dealer, they won't sell you the part unless you have a blown pack because people are buying them up and they are still back ordered.

So Audi owners are going to VW dealers to get the part. That's okay as it is a touch cheaper. I can't remember the part numbers on the bad ones right now - I think it starts with a J and the new K models are ok.

Problem started in 2000 I think, and is pretty much resolved now. If you spend any time on the Audi boards (like I do) you hear about it all the time.

And it does seem to happen more often in the cold.

mustangdriver
One coil down, three to go :nope:

Pretty good service though, it's already ready! We didn't even have an appointment this morning.

RSXDriver
I'm not one to bash an automaker, but all those stories I've heard about VW's being unreliable seem to be starting to look true to me, since Will is now saying something and he's a pretty righteous dude.

mustangdriver
Thanks Troy! :D

I had heard some wierd things but I also know a ton of people who have had no problems (prior to recently) so I figured it would be a good purchase.

I think it sucks but I am impressed how quick they fixed it and of course at no charge, all under warranty. I do not like the fact that it could happen again tomorrow and again two more times after that! Dammit.

RSXDriver
And don't forget about the replaced ones going again... That's possible. Not to jinx you or anything... :fro:

mustangdriver
hehehe, the rumor is the new ones are good. We'll see.

RSXDriver
The rumor was the original ones were good...

scubie02
I feel for ya, lude. Thats why I got rid of my jetta. Very nice cars, but just too frustrating waiting for the next thing to go wrong. But yours must have the 4 yr/48k mile warranty, right? So its no big deal for awhile anyway--more an annoyance. Mine only had the 2yr/24k mile warranty, and it was used on the subaru lot immediately thereafter...

mustangdriver
That would be convenient since the Subaru and VW are the same dealer over here (at least the one near work).

I have the 4 year 50K warranty so yeah, it's really not a big deal. And the dealer is a block from work, so it's more of an annoyance than anything.

RSXDriver
Originally posted by scubie02
I feel for ya, lude. Thats why I got rid of my jetta. Very nice cars, but just too frustrating waiting for the next thing to go wrong. But yours must have the 4 yr/48k mile warranty, right? So its no big deal for awhile anyway--more an annoyance. Mine only had the 2yr/24k mile warranty, and it was used on the subaru lot immediately thereafter...

I've never even heard of a 2/24 warranty! :headscrat

lsr78
Actually the problem with the coilpacks is that the manufacturer (bosch i believe) had a bad batch. those are the ones that were indicated by the certain letter that i can't remember.

the new ones are fine, as are the older ones.

There have been problems in places with getting replacements, but mostly it is because of the limited supply available.

scubie02
Originally posted by RSXDriver
I've never even heard of a 2/24 warranty! :headscrat

Thats what it was until a couple years ago--should have clued me right there. Thats the bumper to bumper warranty period--the engine/drivetrain was 10/100. But then I realized that the engine and drivetrain were the decent parts, and it was all the OTHER stuff that goes wrong on VW's. For instance, replace the O2 sensors (which go bad fairly frequently) and you're talking several hundred dollars in repairs. Not something I wanted to do on a regular basis.

I had heard the wagons were still made in germany or something though, so I was thinking PD might have better luck.

At least the dealer next door is pretty convenient!

masestylez
My mom never had an issue with her Audi, her friend did before that and told her not to buy it but she did anyway and never had any trouble over 30k miles. Weird stuff I say

mustangdriver
Well I have seen what a coil pack looks like now! dcquietman had silver surpher and I help him move some stuff toight and S.S. showed me the spare one he keeps in his Audi! hahaha It's actually pretty small and looks pretty insignificant. We popped the engine cover off of his car and he showed me where they go. Very easy to replace if you have one to replace it and a VAG computer tool to diagnose it (which he has).

mustangdriver
Originally posted by masestylez
My mom never had an issue with her Audi, her friend did before that and told her not to buy it but she did anyway and never had any trouble over 30k miles. Weird stuff I say

Was it a 1.8T or a V6? It's only the 1.8T that is having issues. My mother in law has had two coil packs fail on her Passat.

lsr78
Originally posted by preludedriver
Well I have seen what a coil pack looks like now! dcquietman had silver surpher and I help him move some stuff toight and S.S. showed me the spare one he keeps in his Audi! hahaha It's actually pretty small and looks pretty insignificant. We popped the engine cover off of his car and he showed me where they go. Very easy to replace if you have one to replace it and a VAG computer tool to diagnose it (which he has).

Hey, don't know if it works on VWs but with the Audis you can use the VAG tool to do some neat stuff.

Trigger all windows and sunroof up / down with remote.

Lock doors / unlock doors at set speeds.

Turn off / on horn when alarm is armed.

And I think a couple of other things, also.

Nogaro Nitwit
Originally posted by lsr78
Hey, don't know if it works on VWs but with the Audis you can use the VAG tool to do some neat stuff.

Trigger all windows and sunroof up / down with remote.

Lock doors / unlock doors at set speeds.

Turn off / on horn when alarm is armed.

And I think a couple of other things, also.

I have added the windows down feature, doors auto lock at 10 mph, etc.

The VAG COM pays for itself the first time you run into problems. Helped me diagnose which coilpacks blew in my car. I am sure the dealers were scratching their heads trying to figure out how I knew which coilpack blew. :D
It also helps in erasing the code triggered when I change back to the stock ECU when I take the car in for service.

On top of that it logs block codes on the ECU. I have logged several runs in the car and logged the boost. Afterwards you can create graphs with all the info collected. Quite interesting to see the boost peaks.

It also allows for changing of codes on the ECU itself. I added crusie control to my chipped ECU because it was not on there for some reason. Also I loan out the ECU to friends and if they have a tiptronic you need to change the ECU coding from 16201 to 16251.

Nogaro Nitwit
Originally posted by lsr78
Well known problem that VW/Audi is refusing to recall. In fact, if you go to the Audi dealer, they won't sell you the part unless you have a blown pack because people are buying them up and they are still back ordered.

So Audi owners are going to VW dealers to get the part. That's okay as it is a touch cheaper. I can't remember the part numbers on the bad ones right now - I think it starts with a J and the new K models are ok.

Problem started in 2000 I think, and is pretty much resolved now. If you spend any time on the Audi boards (like I do) you hear about it all the time.

And it does seem to happen more often in the cold.

It all depends on the dealer you go to if they will sell you one. There is at least one dealer I know locally to me that will sell you a coilpack for $50. I was given one by an Audi Tech friend so I am not worrying too much anymore